How about going for a retro décor for the house this year?
2017 is just around the corner. Giving your home a brand-new makeover for this new year and that too a retro-styled one can be a fantastic idea! And for that, you have come to the right place. So, without further ado, let’s see how we can modernize your home the old-fashioned way!
Pop of Color– A retro theme is all about vibrant contrast colours, geometric prints, orb-style fireplaces, pastel-coloured kitchen equipment and cabinets, oversized lighting, etc. But you don’t have to go all out and make your home too loud for your taste. Adding a pop of colour here and there can do the needful.
You can even focus on one element in a room and work around that. For example, a fresh green STOCKHOLM swivel easy chair can be a welcome addition to a plain white living room. You can accessorize the room with other things like matching vases and frames. You could also invest in a bright coloured geometric rug to give it that retro vibe.
As they say, it is always the little things that count. So, don’t go for drastic changes. You can combine a look with several retro items, get the retro look and yet stay modern.
Lighting- Lighting is an important aspect of retro style décor. You can either go for large lampshades, elegant chandeliers or pendant lighting. You should invest in those that suit your taste and won’t bore you soon.
Accessories- Accessories play a significant role in following a theme. They are also a pocket-friendly way to decorate your home. With IKEA’s part sale going on, this is the best time to shop for them. Here are the types of accessories you can consider while following the vintage theme.
- Headboards- Choose a printed velvet upholstered headboard in bold colours, such as purple, green or orange. Match it with the pillows, a rug and a contrasting coloured wall. Voila! Your retro style bedroom is ready!
- Clock- A Grandfather’s clock, cuckoo clock, or a vintage alarm clock can bring the old-world charm into your room. And they are not expensive too.
- Mirrors- Nothing says vintage like a classic oval-shaped mirror. You can pair it with a yesteryear style dressing table.
- Frames and Pictures- You can cover a plain old wall with printed wallpaper and further accentuate it with frames, posters and photos.
- Vases and bowls- Vases and bowls can be an essential element to style any room. They can be placed in any unused corners of your home and instantly give a life to that corner.
- Plant pots and stands- Add a bit of greenery into your home with plant pots and stands. Reminds you of your grandma taking care of her little nursery at home, isn’t it?
- Dinnerware- Vintage style dinnerware is like family heirlooms. With intricate design on them, they can easily transport us to the 60s and the 70s.
So, with these home decorating ideas go ahead and bring in the New Year with a cheerful new home!